Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The little bench that could.

So occasionally I get wild hairs and want to do a completely random projects. And usually I am not prepared in anyway (know how and supplies) to do these projects. This could be why I have a garage full of half done projects. Anyway, I decided one day that I wanted to make a bench. Out of wood. With nails. And stain. So off to Home Depot I go. Not knowing the first thing about wood and too prideful to ask for help (really I didn't want to ask for help because then they would find out that I had no idea what I was doing and probably refuse to sell me wood), I grabbed the first thing that looked like what I wanted and didn't cost my first born. Little did I know that what I was about to purchase were studs and that would prove to add difficulty later on. I then bought the nails and the stain, left the store, semi-safely fastened the wood to the top of my Subaru, and headed home.
At this point I will mention that I had no power tools, nor had a measured out plan for this bench. But I had a picture in my head and that was enough. I brought the wood into my garage and grabbed my grandfathers HANDsaw and went to town cutting my wood. 8 hours later and unable able to lift either arm, I had my wood cut. I fastened my pieces together, nailed them in place, and presto, I had a bench! That was unfortunately lop-sided and not perfect 90 degree angles. But I made a bench!

A few weeks later my father came to visit and brought the proper tools and helped me to make a few minor adjustments. And he gave me one of his extra power saws (which could be good or bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment