Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What to do with all those extra wine glasses?

I stole this idea from a friend who had already mastered this creation. A very simple design, but a bit tricky with the execution. I highly recommend doing this in a safe, open area because let's be real, your hanging thin glass objects from the sky with thin wire, some carnage is bound to happen. All it took was some thin wire, a light kit, and a dozen or two wine glasses. What if I don't have a dozen or two wine glasses you say? I went to a local thrift store and picked up my lot for about 35-75 cents each. Plus I got to mix and match different glasses by doing this, which I always appreciate.
My plan of attack for this delicate beast was starting at the lowest point you want the piece to hang and then building my middle and working my way out. I wrapped wire several times around where the stem meets the base and then again wrapped the other end several times above the contraption where the light bulb screws into. I will put out a warning that this light fixture can get fairly heavy, so invest in a good light kit and really secure the fixture to where its home will be. The light kit I bought had a hook on the cord that could be adjusted to whatever length you desired, but it could also slide out easily. I chose my length and then super glued it in place. Also if you choose to hang it from the ceiling, check the ceiling hook (or whatever you decide upon) to see how much weight it could hold. I have had numerous projects fall from the sky due to ceiling hooks "sliding" out from there home. It was a super fun project and I only broke two glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment